Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Rivers Edge Mountain Bike Marathon

First Place

So I ran up to Charlotte for the Rivers Edge 50 mile marathon, once again not knowing what was awaiting me!

The course was slippery when wet and fast when dry, with a couple of climbs thrown in for good measure. Right out the gate I saw my opportunity to move to the front and took advantage of it! Escaping the traffic jams, I began to settle in and focus on what lay in front of me.

After a couple of ping pong ventures with some trees and a reminder of how slippery roots can get,

I got a grip on things and set a pace that would only be bested by Andy Applegate and Rick Ryle.

After 4 laps I ended up 3rd overall and 1st in my class. I had a great time at the Whitewater Center and enjoyed some Widmer Brothers post race beer before heading to the awards.

Many thanks to the Hoffenchard support crew, and to Cane Creek Eric and his missus for allowing me to extend my stay in the NC mountains and cool down at Dupont on Sunday. Awesome!



No comments:

Post a Comment