Sunday, October 18, 2009

Pisgah Stage Race Day Four

A mighty win.

Wouldn't you know, missed the finish by about three minutes.  Aaargh!!  Promoters were forced to cut an 8 mile loop out of the final stage due to ice and general precariousness, wreaking havoc on my punctuality.  Missed them on their bikes, but still caught them in their kits--Bill in his stage win jersey.  Yow!



But once the kits were off and the winter jackets were on, we sat in the massage queue with Fat Tire in hand and had a conversation about the weekend's events.  So?  How was it??

Edge:  This race was everything I expected it to be, and more! It had epic trails, awesome competition and a splash of gnarly weather thrown in for good measure. After stage 2 I had lost what lead I had on Peter Butt by three minutes and had some work to do on stage 3. Then at the start of stage 4, it was voted that Farlow would be taken out due to unsafe conditions, so my only ace in the hole was out.  Instead, I had to keep pace with the Aussie all day or at least keep him in sight.






At the end of the race, I lost by two minutes.........It was hard to swallow, thinking back on all the times I could have gone a little harder and didn't or couldn't.

But all in all I had a great time, rode some epic trails in very epic conditions, and got a chance to see a lot of Pisgah I hadn't seen yet.



Edge and Pete Butt were the only ones to finish in their class...each got "a custom medal."



WB also had a great race, and reigned supreme of the elite masters!


Terrapin later rocked the HELL out of their custom medals, making a nice book end to their wonderous, four day feat of icy, mtb glory.

See ya'll at Swank and you can believe that next time, Farlow will be ON!




1 comment:

  1. Top step 2010 for sure. Let me know when you are going to pre-ride swank if you are looking for someone to ride with. Well done J. Geoffrey Bergmark, gbergma1 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete